Socknitters Forum Forum Index Socknitters Forum
A Place for Socknitters to Chat.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I LOVE mini sock swaps

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Socknitters Forum Forum Index -> Mini Sock Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: I LOVE mini sock swaps Reply with quote

Is there any plans for another mini sock swap? I love them.
theproofreader
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pam..I don't think there are any plans for a mini sock swap...but I don't know.
For what it's worth, you could maybe arrange one yourself.
If I were you I'd post on the main boards...out here is like the barren wastelands...your post has had only 30 views so far!
Just something for you to consider.
http://grannypurl.blogspot.com
silfert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done one, but I think a mini sock swap could be fun! I saved all of the tiny socks made for Junior when he was born; we hang them on our little Christmas tree. Smile A swap would be a nice way to add to the collection.
NeedleQ
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam, When you say mini sock do you mean wee tiny socks that are just for decoration? Or do mean newborn socks. I belong to a group on ravelry that swaps wee tiny socks, which are about 3" tall and 2.5" from heel to toe. It is fun to see what kind of sock you get from others. If I remember correctly there use to be a swap on here. You sent Mary (memory may not be good on this) a sock and she would send you one in return that someone else had made. Not sure if that is still in effect as it was quite sometime ago. Anyone else remember this?

Ravelry: NeedleQ
theproofreader
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Needleq...I do know what you're talking about. I didn't participate...but I think "twobrownears" Barb did. (probably others..my old memory is shot!) Yes, I think they are the size you described, but hey, Silfert I think the newborn socks on the tree sounds like a really cute idea.
Actually isn't the "Socknitters" logo, two mini socks? I think the premise is give one get one...not sure 'tho!
jackieknits
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I participated in that sock swap (near the end).

It was fun and I still have the socks that I received.

Yes, socks were sent to Mary with a SASE and she sent you back one (or however many socks you sent) - Me? I did them one at a time - three times.

If a swap was started up again, I would be interested in participating.
Pam
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Yeah the small wee-mini's Reply with quote

I love those really small socks. I did one once (haven't finished the second yet) that I wanted to use as earrings. it was fun. I like your idea grannypurl to organize one. I'll have to think on that one & see if I can do it. I did one once, where everyone did their mini & sent it to the coordinator with a self-addressed stamped envelope so the coordinator could send them one from someone else. I think I could handle that & I think it would be fun.. Any other ideas would be great...
Remember if you're ever in valley center, ca on mondays, please come by our sit n' knit at the library and meet some new yarn buddies.
Pam
theproofreader
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pam...I think your idea to send a stamped self addressed envelope with your mini sock covers all bases..this way no one gets short changed!
Nice thing about being a "Socknitter" member you could 'private message' the participants with your address!
My goodness, just how tiny would you make earring socks?
P.S.This past year our knitting group made mini socks for "World Wide Knit in Public Day." We sewed pins to the socks and gave them to everyone who came to our event. They were a big hit!
Pam
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: I think this could work Reply with quote

So Grannypurl, I think so far it's a grand idea. I'm still new at this forum.
How would I go about starting it off to let people know & doing the private message thing for my address? The more the merrier I think.

Any ideas would be helpful, you've already been helpful, thank you.
Yeah the one I did for one earring was pretty small. I did it on 0 or 1 needles, with 12 stitches. it came out just alittle larger than a quarter.

I wanted to do the 'World wide knit in Public day", but I didn't have anyone to knit with me & I didn't feel like being alone, but I LOVE what you did with yours. Was there a bunch of you that scheduled to meet & knit? Was it a blast of fun?
Pam[/url]
theproofreader
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pam....For our WWKIP day there must have been at least 80-100 knitters who got together. There were four separate knitting groups from around our area including my group. We had decided a mini sock would be a nice token for everyone just for coming out. We also decided to sell tickets for goodies that were donated from local businesses and some stuff donated by knitters. There were some really nice gifts; pattern books, yarn, knit washcloths, felted bags, jewelry etc.. After expenses, the rest of the money went to our charity.
It really was a great day and we hope we do as well next year!
Like yourself, I was a lonely knitter. I saw on Ravelry that someone was starting a group near me and I decided to go. There are only about 6 of us in my group...but it is nice to meet each week.
Soooo, why don't you do a poll on the main boards to see how many folks would be interested in a mini sock swap and you could go from there. Would you be using a specific pattern? There is this one....from "Socknitters"
http://www.socknitters.com/PATTERNS/minisock.htm

Even if only a couple of people were interested you could still have a little swap!
I think it would be fun.
Go for it...if you need anything just ask!
Pam
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grannypurl, Thanks for all the ideas & info. I have a question- Should I go on the 'Mini-Sock' forum page and start a new topic? And is that where I should put out the question if anyone else would like to join?

Also, I was thinking the swap should have a time limit, What do you think? I'm getting kinda excited about this. I hope some others would like to join. Also, do I need to get this approved from the moderators?

Man, I hate sounding stupid, but I've never, ever done anything like this & I don't want to mess it up.
By the way-- I LOVE !!!! those baby socks you did for your friends baby Basia. Absolutely adorable..

smiles, Pam
theproofreader
Challenge Participant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pam....I would have to say I'm afraid I don't know the protocol for a 'swap' either. I looked at the other postings and this does seem to be the place. Did you see this:-
Quote:
Mini Sock Swap
Join us for a quick and fun way to use up your little bits of left over sock yarn by knitting mini-socks and exchanging your mini-sock with other sock knitters! We are in need of a Mini Sock Coordinator. If you are interested, please contact the board administrator.

You could either private message one of the site administrators, get their approval and ask if there are any rules etc...before you know it you'll be off and running. I know it will be fun!
Thanks Pam, for all your kind words. M.xo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Socknitters Forum Forum Index -> Mini Sock Swap All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: